Philobiblon: The Ninth Carnival of Feminists ...

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Ninth Carnival of Feminists ...

... is now up on Mind the Gap, and the team in Cardiff have done a spectacularly good job. There's a feast of good writing there, and some startling ideas: I had never heard of "Prozac feminism" before.

The number of new (to me) bloggers there is delightful - one of the main reasons why I started the Carnival of Feminists was to try to get different groups and networks in touch with each other, and I hope it is achieving that.

Mind you, contemplating this carnival left me wondering "how many feminist blogs are there in the world?"

If you take a baseline figure for total blogs of somewhere north of four million, (yes I've seen much larger, but I'm trying to get at an "active" figure), combine that with the fact about 60 per cent of those are run by women, that produces 2.4 million blogs.

Now I don't think I'd be going too far - in fact I'm probably being conservative, in saying that 10 per cent of those women, at least, must be feminist, whether they'd use that label or not. (If they occasionally post "it's not fair" in relation to gender - or proclaim their right to be who they want to be, and to do what they want to do, I'd class that as feminist.)

So there must be at least 240,000 feminist blogs out there. Well we've highlighted a few hundred in the editions thus far, but there are still plenty yet to be "discovered" by the carnival.

Perhaps you could tell the next host, Uma on Indian Writing, about one you know. (Email indianwriting AT gmail DOT com, or use the submission form.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home