Philobiblon: My first academic publication

Sunday, February 19, 2006

My first academic publication

It has taken a while - I wrote the piece the best part of 18 months ago - but my first academic article has just been published, Resurrecting Our Foremothers: My Hopes as a Biographer, Journalist, and Blogger. It is on Thirdspace, a feminist internet journal "for emerging scholars". (You might call mine a slow hatching, since I suspect most of the other contributors are rather younger.)

It draws for theory on my Mass Comm thesis, and in practice on my early experiences of blogging. Were I to be writing it now, it would include of course references to the Carnival of Feminists, but re-reading it now (when I'd pretty well forgotten what it contained) I am struck by the fact that there is a single theme in what I do, even though it is not obvious. From Miss Frances William Wynn's account of Princess Caroline and the pumpkin, to Friday Femmes Fatales, what I am trying to do is bring women to greater prominence, to preserve and propagate their words and thoughts.

Gosh, there is some sort of coherence after all ...

Do look too at other items in the journal, particularly "Writing Bridges: Memoir’s Potential for Community Building".



Elsewhere, I recently came across a more literary feminist journal, Trivia: Voices of Feminism. (I think they are taking postmodern irony too far in the title, but there is some interesting stuff there.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

By the way, have you ever read "Am I that name?" by Denise Riley? We're reading it in my fem theory class and thought it sounded like something you'd be interested in with this notion of the historical foundations of "women" and all that. Do you have any thoughts that might help clarify some of these ideas? She's kinda esoteric.

2/19/2006 08:04:00 pm  
Blogger Ahistoricality said...

Congratulations! And it looks like a good start on future publications too: laying down a method is a great place to start.

2/20/2006 02:17:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make this a third portion of congratulations--both on the publication and on having figured out the thread that's running through your work. Bringing women's voices (historic and current) to the fore shouldn't be as much of an uphill struggle as it is; somehow, in spite of the last few decades' worth of remedial effort the "big dead white males" still seem to get greatest coverage. Oh well, dig we must!

2/20/2006 04:28:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home