Philobiblon: Break out the Christmas sun hats

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Break out the Christmas sun hats

I was having a debate with someone last week about global warming. His stance was: "does it matter?" Well it matters to polar bears who are drowning and puffins, which are losing their nesting sites.

And this year, depending on which figures you believe, has been the hottest, or the second-hottest, on record. And so have nine of the last ten. (And the extra one in that set is 1990.)

Surely no one can now doubt the climate, not just the weather, is changing, fast.

As I look out the window on this crisp, clear December morn, I don't see a poor man gathering winter fuel, but I do see, in the eighth of the sky visible from my window, one jumbo jet turning right into Heathrow (there'll be another along in about two minutes) and the clear vapour trails of seven other planes and a smaller plane heading for the City airport. That can't continue.

2 Comments:

Blogger creepylesbo said...

I can tell next year they'll be saying what a dry winter it was again too - so all our water rates will go up, they'll be badgering us to get any leaks on our property fixed at great expense to us and they'll be hosepipe etc bans everywhere.

12/19/2005 01:18:00 pm  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

Indeed, particularly annoying when you are one person living in a flat without a garden. In my last flat I managed to get a meter fitted, which saved more than £100 a year (well worth looking into BTW for any Brits reading), but unfortunately the arrangement of pipes won't allow that in my new flat.

12/19/2005 05:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home