Philobiblon: A shortcut on a rough day

Friday, July 30, 2004

A shortcut on a rough day

Today started with the mail: another rejection for my book proposal. Shortly afterwards some bastard stole the front wheel of my bicycle, forcing a long, wearying and eventually expensive trudge to the bike shop.

I did get an hour in the British Library, without results of note, so today I'm cribbing my quote from a regular email that I'd recommend,  Today in Literature, which has a free version and a $20 a year one:    http://www.todayinliterature.com/

"The art of newspaper paragraphing is to stroke a platitude until it purrs like an epigram."Don Marquis, who was born on this day in 1878. He also said: "I get up in the morning with an idea for a three-volume novel and by nightfall it's a paragraph in my column."

Personally, I tend to go the other way ... might be a message in there somewhere!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home